Sunday, February 20, 2011

Daybreak

I almost didn't get a poem written this time around. Life is getting incrementally busier with every week. It seems that the quantity of free time I have and the degree to which others need me is in inverse proportion. However, soon enough, summer will be here, and I will be a (relatively) free man.


Daybreak

The night was passing, dim and dark;
the night was dreary as the sea,
a scattering of stars to mark
each astral eccentricity,
and, all the while, I metered by degree

the subtle shift, from east to west,
as declinations wheeled on
their measured spheres in measured rest
and made a bearing for the dawn.
Then, even as the moon was growing wan,

and wilted in the early light,
I smiled at the frosty earth
and set my wandering to flight,
to settle in a homey berth
and find a humble warren for my mirth

where you and I will make a home,
as hopeful as the rising few
who waken to the waning gloam
in faith the sun will surge anew,
encircling our joy in its view.

No comments: