Saturday, September 4, 2010

Dog Days

This warm spell seems to have broken at last. There was a week or two where no supply of ice water and fans and cold showers could relieve the heat. Even now, the occasionally torrid day pokes its head between the rain clouds. I'll be so very glad when Autumn has truly begun.


Dog Days

What good an open window?
The sun ignites a blaze,
and all the world akimbo,
a muddlement of haze

and heat, a melting mirror
in which the earth is held
and sufferance is clearer,
the sooner we are quelled,

and everyone is waiting
for Autumn to arise,
but, ever unabating,
the sun besets the skies.

5 comments:

Kindred Spirit said...

Perhaps it is because my daughter is playing the role of Katharina in an upcoming local production of "The Taming of the Shrew," but your poem recalled to my mind these words of Shakespeare: "Then, God be bless'd, it is the blessed sun." I, too, will be grateful for Autumn's cooler breath, but when the cold of winter comes I will sorely miss the blessed sun's warmth. You have written another thought-provoking poem, which I thank you for sharing. May God bless you and your loved ones.

Cartesian Quies said...

That's wonderful! I wish her the best of luck. I love "The Taming of the Shrew", not to mention the incredibly fun remake of it, "Ten Things I Hate about You".

Anonymous said...

Or better still, "The Tamer Tamed"...

Anonymous said...

Or better still, "The Tamer Tamed"...

Arash said...

"melting mirror"

Nice!

BTW, I am amateur poet and would appreciate it if you would have a look at my blog and let me know what you think.

http://www.canadianpoetry.blogspot.com/