Saturday, May 1, 2010

I Wake the Morning

The still and calm of morning is an experience not to be foregone. An early morning makes the days longer, the sunlight brighter, and the nights deeper. It is easy to make a habit of sleeping in, but, thank goodness, my job has me up by 6:30 every day of the week, and I never cease to be grateful for that. The only imperfection I can find in mornings are their brief durations.


I Wake the Morning

I wake the morning to a tribe of birds
who make a merry twittering; a brief
apocalypse of animated words
is overheard from sediment to leaf.

Then, subtly, the sky is on the surge,
the steady march of hours is begun,
and retrograding shadows near the verge
of life and deed and escalating sun.

And where are all my birds, my early friends,
who reveled in the swiftly fading dark?
As others made their leisurely amends,
we restive ones brought closure to the arc.

But now we rise in transitory flight;
your hectic sphere is calmer from a height.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As sharp-tongued Sal might protest, Nay Sir, the Morning Seems to Wake You!

Cartesian Quies said...

And how should Sal know? Sal does not seem to be the sort of girl wakened by the morning...

S.L. Corsua said...

"overheard from sediment to leaf"
-- That line is a goldmine. To me, it skewers home the point of connections, as: bird to sky to rain to tree, leaf falls. :) Cheers.