Friday, December 18, 2009

Leaving and Returning

All things come about with time and faith. And 'again', which ends the second line of the third verse, is meant to be pronounced according to the British 'əˈɡeɪn', not the Americanized 'əˈgɛn', so don't do it, please. Oh, and have a wonderful Christmas break.


Leaving and Returning

The sun is not as fast a friend as I;
his rosy brow can barely make a crown
as waking hours hurry briskly by
and bear the days, devoid of renown;

but even fleeting days - this pauper spread -
reduce the spanning sums that separate
a leaving and returning, nearly wed,
but not so nearly that I wish the wait,

for as the secret seeds repose beneath
the rime and long to feel light again,
or as an awful famine grips the teeth
and heightens urgent appetite to pain,

so time can never turn another week
as quickly as my yearning soul would seek.

5 comments:

Kindred Spirit said...

This poem led me to ponder the truth that this life is ever a series of beginnings and endings, lending a bittersweet aspect to mortality. But Eternity with God is ever a beginning without end--what a marvelously joyful truth to ponder! I wish you and those you love a blessed Christmas. Here's to joy!:-)

MyHandsAndFeet said...

Stumbled upon your poems.
I think I'll read more...

Cartesian Quies said...

Thank you, KS. The least I can hope is that my poetry leads others to think, and, perhaps, to see the world in a new and better way.

And MyHandsAndFeet, how exciting to have a new visitor! I hope you enjoy the writing, and find your way back, again, for more. I post a brand-new poem every weekend.

Anonymous said...

Beginnings are much sweeter than endings.

Cartesian Quies said...

Too true, though I must say, I prefer middles myself.