Saturday, July 25, 2009

Fate

I picked up one of my volumes of Emily Dickinson the other day; it was the first time in months that I'd touched it. I'd forgotten how stunning her poetry is. Her name has, unfortunately, been connected with saccharine poems about bees and flowers. This could not be further from the truth. Open a book of her poetry at random, and the chances of finding something fit for 'Mother Goose's Nursery Rhymes' are minimal, at best. You are far more likely to find yourself enfolded in delicate and complicated word-play, with hints of Hopkins and Eliot, and subjects too serious for any child to fully appreciate. So for those of you who have never read Dickinson, I encourage you to begin, and for those who have read and rejected, I beg you to look again.


Fate

Our fate is not for hands and eyes;
its score
we hope to settle, willful-wise.
No more

can turning back the ticking face
make rest
the heavens in their steady pace
to west,

for feet can only fall within
the groove,
and, ceasing to resist, begin
to move.

2 comments:

Kevin Cutrer said...

Hi,

I found your site through Lewis Turco's blog. Have you heard of The Eratosphere? It's an online formalist workshop. Check it out:

http://www.ablemuse.com/erato

Cartesian Quies said...

Kevin,

Thanks for the information! Yes, I just discovered the Eratosphere a week or so ago, and plan to start posting there fairly soon. Thanks for looking, and I hope you enjoyed the blog.

-Matt