Saturday, June 7, 2008

Ode to Tobacco

In honor of the return from basic training of our dear friend and tobacco connoisseur, Bennett Gebken, I am posting the second part of an intended 'Trilogy of Vice.' It begins with 'Ode to a Martini' and continues here with tobacco. I am torn, however, about how to end it. Should the crowning piece pertain to bridge or croquette? Both are equally British, and both lend themselves equally to debauchery (yes, I know that sounds a little absurd - debaucherous card games and lawn sports - but trust me on this one).


Ode to Tobacco

When talking drags upon the ears
and thoughts upon the nerve,
to lubricate those gentle gears
a different drag will serve.

A puff upon that goodly weed
can soothe the savage soul;
it speaks a universal creed
from paper, leaf, or bowl.

So savor well the smoky song
that swirls out of sight,
but do not ruminate too long;
please let me have the light.

3 comments:

Swordfish said...

Wonderful

Zosia (z•O•sha') said...

I agree

Cartesian Quies said...

little my, you're not the only commenter any more! yay!