Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Home

I've only been living in this new apartment for a month and a half, but already it feels like home. But then, I suppose I know the cause of that.


Home

Beneath the cedar and the stars
aligning in the evening sky -
old Sirius and rusty Mars -
reposes both my home and I.

How quietly we watch the night
grow deeper with the dipping sun,
as steady streams of people fight
against the red and angry run

of traffic flowing from the streets
that checker-box the city to
their empty houses. Each one greets
its occupant with silence. Who

would call these houses homes? Not I.
But then, my house is never dead,
and, in the evenings, there is my
own love to greet the one she wed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a really beautiful, deep, thought-provoking piece - really good poetry. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I love this more than words can say.